Monday, January 16, 2012

Kitchen countertops

Blue Baracuda granite counter + backsplash
When choosing a counter top for your kitchen the choices seem endless.  The main types of counter tops people use for their kitchens in RBS are granite and  Ceasarstone.  Prices can be quite similar so it comes down to a matter of taste.  Ceasarstone offers a more streamlined modern look while Granite gives a more traditional look.  When you choose a specific color of Ceasarstone basically every slab is exactly the same as it is man-made, whereas with natural Granite, even of the same type, each slab is different.

THE COUNTER'S EDGE
There are many different ways to finish the edges of your counter top for example straight edged, curved, beveled etc.   Some people like the traditional Israeli counter edge that juts up at the edge so that water never spills over.  I have come to realize that if you have a nice large sink that this is not a problem.  Also, with this type of edge the inner crevice can get gunky and you have to clean it out with a tooth pick.  
Another decision you have to make with the edge of the counter top is the thickness. You can decide whether you want the edge to be 2-4 centimeters (or more).  When I was choosing Granite I was told I could only choose between 2 and 4 cm.    It's really hard to find a 3 centimeter thick granite slab here, most are 2 centimeters.  To get an edge more than 2cm you have to add an edge to the counter. I have found that with Ceasarstone this added edge is almost impossible to notice at the seam.  With Granite, however, it depends on the color, movement on the slab and the skill of the installer.  Some seams are more noticeable than others.  They are usually seen on the top of the edge but can be done on the side of the edge if requested.

USING YOUR COUNTER AS YOUR BACKSPLASH
Some people choose to use their counter top for their back splash as well.  This can look beautiful, however, it is an expensive choice.  You can bring up the granite on to your backsplash just 5 cm or more and then start the tiling but this is only as a design element there is no other reason for doing this. In the pictures below you can see one full granite backsplash that is solid and the second one is a paneled granite backsplash.  If you look closely you can see the seams.

Notice the interesting edge on this granite


Amazon Gold Granite installed by 'Shayash Mizrachi'
This granite goes up onto the back splash just 5 cm.

                                          

There is an option to use two different colors in your kitchen, one for the counters and one for your island if you have one.  This can look fabulous as long as the colors compliment each other.  I plan to post pictures of this idea when we look at kitchen layouts. For the kitchen in my previous place I used a granite called 'San Fransisco Green'.  I went to the Granite yard in Petach Tikva and after looking at a whole lot of slabs my husband and I fell in love with the same one.  It was a silvery green color that wasn't too busy and had nice movement on it.  I put it together with a 'formica' that reminded me of a Scandinavian teak wood color and it felt very organic to me, like a tree(as pointed out by my friend Elana).  I found great subway tiles in a light almond cream color and topped them off with a  green marble border tile that matched the counter.  I used Tiv Hashayish to install the granite and was pleased with their work.  They are located nearby on Moshav Tarum and I liked that fact that I could go look at slabs there at anytime. Take a look at the finished product below...

The straight edge here is 4 cm.

 I was told that the darker granites are 'stronger' (i.e less porous)than the lighter colors.   Keep in mind that granite colors in America often have different names than the ones here in Israel even though they are the same.  I have heard from friends with solid black counters that they show smears more prominently but they love them nonetheless.

This is black Ceasarstone.  Look how beautifully it reflects.

I've included more pictures of  Granite and Ceasarstone colors and edges to help inspire your new kitchen, enjoy!

 A stunning green slab with a lot of movement done with Shayash Dan.
Desert Sand colored Ceasarstone with a 6 cm block edge
Rounded 4cm edge pebble stone granite
Rich brown color Ceasarstone
Light Beige Ceasarstone with a 2cm edge
 Last but not least here is picture of a rough edge Ceasarstone.  My friend Naomi Goldberg designed her own kitchen and realized her new calling.   She is now going into interior design professionally.  

Grey sparkly Ceasarstone with a bumpy rough edge.


Please be in touch if you have any questions or comments!  Stay tuned for backsplash inspiration in my next post.















1 comment:

  1. Hi Sarit,
    It's Mira's friend, Karmen. Great blog by the way. I have a question about my composite counter top. The surface is very worn - can it be refinished?

    ReplyDelete